[c-nsp] virtual router on a cat4500

Arie Vayner ariev at vayner.net
Mon Jan 18 16:08:57 EST 2016

This should work with no major issues.

I would consider making the firewall a layer 3 hop, and use something like
VRRP for redundancy and maybe use BGP as the routing protocol... But these
are just options. I personally don't like layer 2 firewalls, and there
might be design complications due to spanning tree in a redundant mode...

Another interesting approach for easy redundancy is to make the pair of
4500's a logical VSS node.
https://supportforums.cisco.com/document/124626/virtual-switching-system-vss-configuration-cisco-4500-series-switches

If you intend to run OSPF with VRF-lite, you need to enable "capability
vrf-lite"
http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst4500/12-2/20ew/configuration/guide/config/vrf.html

HTH
Arie