[c-nsp] Route processor memory at 99% on 720-3bxl

Saku Ytti saku at ytti.fi
Tue Jun 21 18:48:42 EDT 2016

On 22 June 2016 at 01:01, chiel <chiel at gmx.net> wrote:

Hey,

'> We have already relocated the CEF so tcam can can hold more ipv4 routes. But
> the problem the last couple of weeks has been the RP memory. At this moment
> its on 99% utilization  of the max 1GB that the 720-3bxl can hold! On short
> term we can downgrade back to 12.* version, or to "ip base" or "ip service"
> branch, that might give us some room to breath. Or are we missing something
> that could free up lots of memory on a 720-3bxl? I heard BGP Soft Reset
> might free up some memory? Is this true and will it be significant?

soft-reconfigure inbound will save some memory. But you're not really
missing anything, 1GB is just not that comfortable amount of
control-plane memory for full-table routing. Biggest gain you'll see
is going back to 12.2S series. But you need to plan to upgrade your
kit or filter outes.

--
  ++ytti