[c-nsp] ASR9k - IPoE termination

Florian Lohoff f at zz.de
Thu Jun 23 11:49:12 EDT 2016

On Wed, Jun 22, 2016 at 08:05:25PM +1200, Nathan Ward wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Firstly, PW-HE has worked very poorly for us for IPoE. We’ve tried on a number of releases over the last 12 months, including the latest release a few weeks back. Of course, there are the problems where NP queue resources are consumed for each physical link that a PW might transit. We also found that if a PW-carrying MPLS link flapped or a whole PW flapped and customers were disconnected/reconnected very rapidly, the DHCPv4 functionality would just die. I presume this is related to the queue resource creation/deletion in the NP, though we haven’t had a chance to debug this closely.
> I noted that DHCPv6 (which remained working when DHCPv4 died) didn’t handle remote-id correctly, but haven’t had a chance to look in to whether this was just PW-HE, or whether it was a general DHCPv6 problem on the ASR9000.
>
> Now to the main part of your message..
>
> I have considered delaying DHCP triggered RADIUS responses, in order
> to delay the DHCP response, but given we can only have 255 RADIUS
> requests in flight, this would mean things go very slow getting
> customers online. If the delay is only a second or two, then maybe

The 256 RADIUS Requests in flight is for that communication link
e.g src port/address <> dst port/address. By using multiple source
ports you can scale this up:

From quickly reading in the documentation

	radius-server source-port extended

should give you 50 source ports and by this 12800 requests in flight.

The Redback Smartedge now Ericsson allowed to configure a port range.

Flo