[c-nsp] NCS-5001 - MPLS L3VPN Issue

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Tue Mar 1 07:15:58 EST 2016

Hi,

On Tue, Mar 01, 2016 at 11:21:11AM +0000, Phil Mayers wrote:
> Upgrades != Fresh installs, unless the OS is a complete, self-contained,
> read-only image, with the only mutable state being config applied to the
> ramdisk *after* boot ;o)

True, and that's actually an option I'd love to see for XR.

Possibly similar to what OpenWRT does.

"Here, take this immutable file system image, and mount this *other*
file system image read/write on top of it (overlayfs)"

So you can always see exactly which files got modified, and potentially
undo everything ("rm -rf /overlay/*").  Patches get installed to the
overlay file system, major upgrades replace /rom/ with a new base
image and clean the /overlay/ filesystem of everything that is not
a recognized config file.

But of course this is all hobbyist stuff, not something a professional
software engineering company like Cisco would ever consider.  Right?

gert

                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de