[c-nsp] Rec for full-table multi-peer bgp router?

Peter Rathlev peter at rathlev.dk
Wed Nov 30 14:32:02 EST 2016

On Wed, 2016-11-30 at 17:43 +0100, Gert Doering wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 30, 2016 at 04:41:29PM +0000, David Hubbard wrote:
> > [...]
> ASR9001 sounds like it would do what you want (goes up to 12x 10GE,
> though only 4 of them are SFP+, the rest is XFP).  Fastest BGP
> implementation I've ever seen in a "vendor box router".

On that note: We would probably soon-ish be looking for a new Internet
edge router that can do full tables and route at least 10G. Currently
we do 1G and just default routes (being an enterprise) but I'd like to
know the full range of options.

Four SFP+ interfaces, as ASR9001 has built-in, would be just what we
need. It seems to cost around $80k list price. Is that what we should
expect to pay for a 10G capable edge router? I'd love to know if there
are cheaper alternatives, though I'm perfectly willing to accept if
there are not.

We've also taken a look at the ASR1001-HX but that runs up $110k. An
ASR1004 with SIP40 and four 1-port 10G SPAs is something like $120k.

These prices are from "Build & Price" on CCO and our Cisco pusher might
have a special offer on top of our regular discount. But I find it
easier to compare list prices when starting out.

Sorry if this steers the thread away from what OP was thinking. :-)

--
Peter