[c-nsp] ASR900 Family

James Bensley jwbensley at gmail.com
Thu Jan 12 11:30:23 EST 2017

On 12 January 2017 at 10:27, Nicolas KARP <liste at karp.fr> wrote:
> Hi James,

Hi Nicolas,

> Cisco told us that we can't terminate a pppoe session on the ASR920 (one
> year ago)

Yeah as I said, it is not officially supported but the commands are
there and worked for us in the lab.

> On the 3.16.4S, you can enable VPDN and pppoe enable group ?

We didn't use VPDN groups. We just terminated PPPoE session locally on
the box so that the traffic may enter a "regular" L3VPN. These are
MetroE boxes so we don't want to use them like a LAC and L2TP the
users back somewhere, we wanted to test local termination into a L3
VPN. This is for some unusual PoPs where a local tail provider is
handing over PPPoE, we want to stripper the PPP and terminate at Layer
3 in the PoP.

On 12 January 2017 at 13:23, Nicolas KARP <liste at karp.fr> wrote:
> Hi James,
>
> I was using an untagged Interface without BDI, a simple Ethernet interface.
> Can you please share your tests and config ?

Yes see here:
https://supportforums.cisco.com/discussion/12745851/pppoe-asr920-not-working

It worked for us in the lab using native interface or with an untagged
EFP into BDI.

>> James,
>>
>> The PPPoE server "sort" of works.  Running over a BDI didn't seem to work
>> properly in my testing which is a requirement for most people to be able
>> to terminate tagged traffic.  In your testing were you just using a direct
>> untagged physical interface?

Hi Pat,

See link above. It works in the lab for us using 3.16.4 with both
untagged EFP into BDI (we tested tagged and that worked fine too) and
directly on the interface without an EFP.

We have changed the design as it's not officially support to
pseudowire the traffic back to a "proper" PPPoE server so now we are
testing the "encaps ... etype pppoe-*" EFP options.

Cheers,
James.