[c-nsp] netflow restrictions on ASR920

adamv0025 at netconsultings.com adamv0025 at netconsultings.com
Fri Jan 13 07:55:15 EST 2017

Hi,

> James Bensley
> Sent: Thursday, January 12, 2017 9:25 AM
>

> If anyone can elaborate I’d like to know of if anyone from Cisco wants to
> chime in please do. It’s very annoying they aren’t clearer about these things
> as anything we want to do we have to lab test it and work it out for our self
> (typical questions like “how many ‘features’ or which ‘features’ can I enable
> and still get line rate or X Mbps/Gbps, because we aren’t told how the
> features are working).

Yeah very annoying indeed,
However it would be a very long list/test, cause if feature X' has X pps tax and feature Y' has Y pps tax, then enabling both features does not result in X+Y pps tax, but more like (X+Y)-Z, where Z depends on how effective they are with mem lookups.
Oh and the pps tax for a feature is not constant either and might change with a new code release, cause the SW paths are being streamlined.

What is striking though is that we could live without any kind of telemetry from forwarding ASICs/NPUs up until now.

adam

netconsultings.com
::carrier-class solutions for the telecommunications industry::