[c-nsp] Nexus 7707 as Internet Edge Router?

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Wed Jul 26 05:29:46 EDT 2017

On 26/Jul/17 00:02, Rick Martin wrote:

> We have solicited quote from our local, and normally very trusted, Cisco partner for Internet Edge Router with 10X10G towards service provider and 2X40G towards our network. Current deployment will be two 2X10G LAG bundles to ISP's (40G), this will be replacing current MX104.
>
> I did not specify what Cisco platform, I expected them to come back with ASR 1006 or better. I did specifically state that I did not personally believe that Nexus was the right platform - but they came back with a very low ball bid on Nexus 7707. They knew they were up against Juniper MX platform...

I think the most appropriate unit to compare against the MX is the ASR9000.

MX vs. Nexus 7700 is apples and steak.

In general, the ASR9000 will give you as much bang for your buck as the
MX will (i.e., MX240/480/960/2010/2020). Don't waste your time looking
at the MX80 or MX104.

We have refused to use the ASR9000 as an edge router because of how
Cisco implement policing on LAG's, in general. However, we use them
quite extensively as border and peering routers.

Mark.