[c-nsp] OT Solarwinds Alternatives

Scott Granados scott at granados-llc.net
Thu Jul 27 15:08:13 EDT 2017

Hi Nick,

In my opinion anything is better than Solar Winds but that’s me.  I don’t understand how any serious network monitoring company only offers their products for the windows environment and has no Unix variants.  That’s just goofy to me but that aside here are some alternatives I have had good success with.

Open NMs http://www.opennms.org is a comprehensive open source network management toolkit.
Open groundwork http://www.opengroundwork.com Can be pricing depending on licensing but easy to set up and pretty feature packed, based on NAGIOS if memory serves.
NagIOS, the gold standard, Nagios is a good framework with lots of plug in functionality and ability to customize / expand.  It’s a very complex but powerful tool.  In many environment it requires a full-time admin but it doesn’t have to.
If you’re looking for netflow capture and analysis I’m a pretty big fan of nfdump and nfcapd.  Easy to get up and running and can generate powerful reports, also includes plugin add ons like mapping functions and anomaly detection.
Cacti, good prober for port stats and has the ability to take rapid probes in for looking at bursty traffic.
RANCID, great network archiving tool for version control and archival of network device configs.  Written in expect / TCL so can be modified to suit your needs.

THere’s a few for starters.

Thanks