[c-nsp] bfd session flaps troubleshooting

Mike mike-cisconsplist at tiedyenetworks.com
Thu Mar 2 12:50:59 EST 2017

Hi,

     I have an ASR920 connected to an ME3600X-24CX over a gigabit fiber
link, and I experience periodic cases of BFD flapping.

     The fiber link is a point to point EoMPLS carrier circuit and there
does not appear to be any interface errors, although one end does seem
to have excessive output drops (That end is the majority traffic
originating, too). I have engaged the carrier an after several closed
tickets without action, I have received an analysis stating nothing
appears wrong in the carrier mpls network go check my stuff. Although I
understand the protocol, I don't know what else might cause these flaps
other than faults in the carrier network. The only idea I have is
perhaps there are microbursts >=1gbps causing the output drops and BFD
isn't able to send its control packets out due to a backlogged queue.
But that would be dumb, bfd should have a direct path to the output
queue bypassing everything else for exactly this reason.

     I have read a few bfd troubleshooting documents and I don't seem to
fit into any of the listed scenarios. I would appreciate hearing from
others who run bfd and any opinions or suggestions where to further look.
Mike-