[c-nsp] Design recommendation from Cisco

CiscoNSP List CiscoNSP_list at hotmail.com
Sat Mar 11 23:42:53 EST 2017

Just an update to this - I got to speak to (unfortunately) just the sales team(Cisco), and one SE...they wanted to build a POC for us (NCS 5500 vs ASR9K) to show how much "better" the 9K was(thanks, but no thanks)...told them it wasnt necessary, and wanted a full BOM with 5501's vs 9K (Compare price/features etc).

Ive now just learnt that they had another meeting 2 days ago, and have convinced our CEO that the NCS5508 would be the best solution...i.e. they could see that the 9K was getting blocked, but NCS5500 was liked as a potential option, so have gone for the bigger 5508 to get the bigger $.....Ive got no idea what one of these cost (As chassis/line cards), but 13RU high, 8 slots...and when RRP of a 5501-SE is  $120K and the 5502-SE is $720K...I can only imagine what the 5508 will cost....Ive had a quick read up on them, and they appear to have 250K TCAM (IPv4)...but Ive read this also "Line cards for the 5508 come in regular and scale. Scale has TCAM for lots of routes external to the ASIC. The space required for the external TCAM reduces the number of ports that can be supported on each line card."

The only other details I received about the 5508 solution was "chassis in spine/leaf with additional wan cards"

No doubt it will be a replica of the 9K design (Single "redundant" router)....just replacing the 9K with 5508.

For some reason my replies have not been appearing on the list...if this one doesnt, Ill start a new thread...

Cheers