[c-nsp] Nexus OIDs

Paul Koch paul.koch137 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 14 09:36:45 EDT 2017

On Tue, 14 Mar 2017 12:43:31 +0000
Nick Hilliard <nick at foobar.org> wrote:

> Paul Koch wrote:
> > We only get mibs directly from vendors (via customers), not from free
> > downloads sites, which are usually so outdated they are useless.  We also
> > fix all the syntax errors in vendor mibs before including them in our
> > repository.  We can't fix definition errors though (e.g. objects defined
> > as DisplayString instead of enumerated types).  Many vendors are hopeless
> > at mibs.
>
> yes, they are. It's embarrassing that many mibs don't even compile properly.
>
> "nondeterministic snmp" refers to what happens when you're not careful
> about your MIB selection and you find out that the object names compile
> to incorrect numerical OIDs.

We rarely come across that problem, but we do always verify the MIB works
properly be doing snmpwalks against the vendor devices.

Although recently we did come across a real dopey main stream networking
vendor who's programmers don't seem to understand that once a mib is
released, and devices deployed, the mib is 'set in stone' and you can't just
make random changes to it, but they did in a massive way by relocating the
mib to a completely different place in the tree.  Unbelievably stupid.  It
took days for us to selectively pick a revision of each mib and modify them
so they worked against the deployed devices.

	Paul.