[c-nsp] Typhoon support on XRe

adamv0025 at netconsultings.com adamv0025 at netconsultings.com
Tue May 2 05:56:20 EDT 2017

> James Bensley
> Sent: Tuesday, May 02, 2017 10:28 AM
>
> On 2 May 2017 at 09:47,  <adamv0025 at netconsultings.com> wrote:
> > Oh dear, 16.67Mpps budget per 10GE is now acceptable? We're doomed.
> > Line-rate 10Gbps at L2(64B)@L1(84B) is 29.761Mpps (both directions)
> > -that's what I'd expect the modern 100GE LCs to deliver, not that I'd
> > like to forward 64B frames at 240G but to forward higher packet sizes
> > at line-rate and still have some budget left for features (QOS,
> > Filters, flowspec, ...) and not to crumble under DDoS.
> > The good old Typhoons with 3x10GE per NPU can do 29.33Mpps per 10GE
> > (now that's more like it).
>
> Is that 16.67Mpps uni-directional though? 14.48M 84B Ethernet frames is
> 10Gbps, maybe they meant unidirectional so they have some head room for
> QoS cycles et al?

Unfortunately not, the NPUs overall(both directions) budget is ~400Mpps.
So the 2x100GE per 400Mpps is, well (..don't want to say fine but...) 20Mpps
"per 10GE".
But 24x10GE per 400Mpps that's little too much I think, that will get you
even slightly you below MPC7E, so go figure.

On the other hand nPower X1e G1  has 600Mpps with 20x10GE per NPU resulting
in 30Mpps per 10GE (the good old days) -now that's what I call proper NPU
(oh and it does 0 packet loss ISSU as a bonus).

adam

netconsultings.com
::carrier-class solutions for the telecommunications industry::