[c-nsp] highly available ipsec vpn

Jeff Orr jeffborr at gmail.com
Thu Feb 8 18:13:49 EST 2018

We use HA VPN (HSRP) for our IPSEC based business partners. It has worked
well for years, but I’m only partly happy.

We have built our data centers to be as independent as possibly. Minimal
OTV, routed mainframe, separate internal and external up space. However,
with HA VPN, I have to have L2 stretch & advertise the specific/24 out if
both DCs.

The main benefit is our partners only setup one tunnel and neither side has
to work about DR. Internally we use RRI into our IGP to steer traffic to
the proper router.