[c-nsp] FIB insertion issues on Sup2T routers

Pete Lumbis alumbis at gmail.com
Thu Jan 4 19:08:21 EST 2018

My memory on this is old and fuzzy, but I worked on some issues when I was
in TAC where the TCAM on sup2t isn't fixed like the old sup720. It's not a
guaranteed number of entries, and is dependent on the space the fib data
structure takes up. The data structure is entirely dependent on the
add/remove of routes and prefix distribution over time. We had a large
provider who kept hitting tcam exception at like 40% of stated maximums.
Software fixes improved the data structure for them, but I wouldn't be
surprised if there are still a number of instances where the prefix
distribution + add/remove makes things worse.  Larger tables increases the
likelihood of having problems. Lots of add/removes (i.e., internet facing)
increases the likelihood of problems.

Rebooting the card/box would rebuild the data structure from scratch,
likely resulting in a more optimized version.

I have no idea how to verify if this is the issue you're hitting, but an
anecdote that sounds similar.

Regards,
Pete