[c-nsp] cat6800 sup6T

Charles Spurgeon c.spurgeon at austin.utexas.edu
Tue Jul 10 12:05:20 EDT 2018

> Need your opinion on choosing a switch for an upgrade. I got a bunch
> of cat4507 sup7-e running right now thatneed to be replaced very
> soon.  I can't seem to pick the right platform to replace it
> with. Cisco is being as confusing as always.  My requirements are
> pretty bland. The switch has to be highly reliable (banking
> environment), mature code and hardware. Should not end up with no
> more software updates in the next 5 years (PCI compliance). Should
> do VRFs, MACsec, VPC or VSS (quad sup VSS is better). No 10Gig is
> required as of today.  My options so far:
>
> 1.Cat6807, sup6T --
> would be my first choice but other techies have no experience with
> it and are reluctant to agree.
> 2.Cat6506-E.  sup2T  --  7 years old, perhaps will be EoL
  shortly otherwise will do.
> 3. Cat4507R+E, sup9 -- good on paper but I had too
  manyhardware and software issues with the existing cat4500 for me to
  be comfortablewith this option. On top of that, Cisco is
  ???encouraging??? to go to Cat9400 instead
> 4. Cat9400 7-slot  --  I know nothing about that thing. Does
> it support quad sup VSS or similar? Is it too cutting edge for a
> financial client? Is the code stable enough?
> 5. Nexus 7700 > 6-slot   or    Nexus 9504   --  both are
  expensive ashell.

If you want 5 years of active support then you should probably
consider the Catalyst 9000 series (NOT Nexus 9k and thanks for the
model number confusion, Cisco). If you want multiple sups and slots
then the Cat9400 would be the model of interest. However, note that
the Cat9500 supports "stackwise virtual" which claims to be a VSS
replacement.

The Cat9ks are based on the second and third generation of the Cisco
UADP ASIC which was first announced in the Cat3850 in 2013, so the
architecture and code have some years on them:
https://newsroom.cisco.com/press-release-content?articleId=1132715

While we have no operational experience with the Cat9k series as yet,
we are currently testing them with our current Cat6k configs (so far,
so good) and plan to be moving to them ASAP. We have stopped
purchasing Cat6k gear.

As to why we stopped purchasing Cat6k, you should check with your
Cisco support channel on the hardware roadmap and EOL plans for the
Catalyst Sup6t/68xx series.

-Charles