[c-nsp] cat6800 sup6T

Patrick M. Hausen hausen at punkt.de
Wed Jul 11 03:33:12 EDT 2018

Hi all,

> Am 10.07.2018 um 18:05 schrieb Charles Spurgeon <c.spurgeon at austin.utexas.edu>:
> If you want 5 years of active support then you should probably
> consider the Catalyst 9000 series (NOT Nexus 9k and thanks for the
> model number confusion, Cisco). If you want multiple sups and slots
> then the Cat9400 would be the model of interest. However, note that
> the Cat9500 supports "stackwise virtual" which claims to be a VSS
> replacement.

we, too, are still looking for an affordable replacement for our Cat6k switches.
While the 9k series looks interesting for data centre switching, I fear they
won't do BGP with the global routing table?

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/switches/catalyst-9500-series-switches/data_sheet-c78-738978.html

Total number of IPv4 routes (Address Resolution Protocol [ARP] plus learned routes)
Up to 212,000 indirect + direct*
Up to 90,000 host/ARP*

If this is indeed the number of routes the system can hold, that won't do.
I wonder where those 16 GB of DRAM go with a measly 200k prefixes ...

Or am I missing something?

Since our Cat6k are not limited by switching performance but simply by
the size of the routing table, we are looking into data centre switches
for layer2/3 that hopefully consume less power and into Quagga or
similar solutions for external connectivity.

With 300 Mbit/s aggregate external traffic an amd64 based server
should easily handle that.

Kind regards
Patrick
--
punkt.de GmbH			Internet - Dienstleistungen - Beratung
Kaiserallee 13a			Tel.: 0721 9109-0 Fax: -100