[c-nsp] 3750 and CVE-2018-0167

Tristan Gulyas evilzardoz at gmail.com
Wed Jul 18 03:42:57 EDT 2018

Hi,

Glad that someone else is seeing similar things that we are:

1. 3850s have buggy code. We have been running 3850s since November 2015 and still do not have a bug-free release of code.  We just recently hit an issue where the box would either not program an ACL into the ASIC and/or crash the box if we tried to play around with it.

2. Cat9300s with their new licensing model and costing are off-putting. Plus their 48 port multigigabit model is deeper than the 3850, so it won't fit in our 600mm deep racks.

3. There is still vulnerability support for the last 16M flash version of code on 3750G:
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/switches/catalyst-3750-series-switches/eos-eol-notice-c51-731425.html <https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/switches/catalyst-3750-series-switches/eos-eol-notice-c51-731425.html>

I logged a case re: the vstack issue, however Cisco claim the ability to disable a vulnerable service is considered a *feature request* and not a security issue.  I did observe an SE11 release but this lacks the fix we need for this issue.

At least we have a workaround to put an ACL on all the management SVIs to block that service, but it's still not ideal.  We are currently downgrading our 3750G fleet to 3850s, but this Takes A Long Time, especially when physical work is required and we keep hitting software defects which have caused significant delays to the project.  Plus, the CVE aside, the 3750G switches are still providing a reliable service to customers.

Tristan