[c-nsp] OSPF routing question

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Thu Jul 19 11:02:33 EDT 2018

On 18/Jul/18 08:39, Gert Doering wrote:

> If you do this, be aware that every OSPF come-and-go is very likely to lead
> to a churn in BGP, as metrics change.  This might or might not be a problem,
> but everything that leads to externally visible BGP updates should be
> considered well.

If I could be more stern, "... should be abstracted from the global BGP
table".

What Gert talks about is a real issue, and many of the "bad actors" that
top the Weekly Routing Table Report from APNIC are mainly so because
they redistribute customer routes from their IGP directly into BGP.
Oscillations in one protocol cascades into the other.

The tried, true and tested architecture of using the IGP only for
infrastructure + Loopback routes and iBGP for customer routes is what
I'd suggest you consider moving to.

Mark.