[c-nsp] Mobile plant roaming speeds

Ron M. ccie4526 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 28 11:40:02 EDT 2018

Most of this will be dependent upon the client device itself.

I've got a number of mobile client devices in a glass production facility
running on a WLC5520/IW3702 infrastructure, and my biggest issue is with
the stickiness of the client device (Moxa). Even with "forced" roaming from
the WLC, the client would not willingly roam unless a special feature of
theirs "turbo-roaming" was enabled... and oh by the way, that turbo-roaming
function is limited to only three channels. Obviously originally designed
for a 2.4GHz deployment where you only have three non-overlapping channels
to work with... but in my facility my design was using .11n modulation with
20MHz channels on 5GHz so I could spread out the APs and limit co-channel
interference. And we discovered the Moxa client wouldn't aggressively roam
to a new AP even down at -80 to -85dB RSSI... unless we had their
"turbo-roaming" enabled, which of course defeats the purpose of using the
additional channel space available at 5GHz.  When I took all this back to
Moxa support, their reply was essentially "that's how it is, if you want
the code changed, submit a feature request and pay for it." So... the
immediate fix was to limit the AP infrastructure to only using 3 channels.
The long term fix is that as the Moxa radios break, they'll be replaced
with something non-Moxa. And we won't ever be buying Moxa client devices
for any of our other facilities. Their attitude = loss of customer.

So, word to the wise, look VERY closely at the capabilities AND limitations
of the client devices. Test them thoroughly before issuing the purchase
order.