[c-nsp] ASR9000 ABF/ePBR

Curtis Piehler cpiehler2 at gmail.com
Sun Jul 29 13:48:22 EDT 2018

So I have been attempting to use IOS-XR ABF (Access List Based Forwarding)
to implement a "catch-all" next-hop of a destination within the same LAN
(back out the same interface the packet arrived on).  Cisco documentation
indicates this would fall under the "for-us" rule and not work by default.
However, I can see access list matches against this type of config.  It
appears the router is doing some of redirect because I do not see the
packets arriving on the device of the next-hop that is configured.

I recently stumbled across ePBR (enhanced Policy Based Routing) which I
thought PBR did not exist in ASR9000 routers (replaced by ABF).  The
configuration is pretty straight forwarding using class maps and a
"redirect nexthop" under the policy-map class action.  The policy-map is
configured as a PBR with the class as a type "traffic".  The policy-map is
then applied in the input direction under the interface/sub-interface.

Has anyone used ePBR and would it solve the problem of the ABF issue with
attempting to same interface nexthop route?