[c-nsp] Leaked Video or Not (Linux and Cisco for internal Sales folks)

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Sat Jun 30 06:25:21 EDT 2018

On 29/Jun/18 10:08, Saku Ytti wrote:

> It would be still interesting to hear what was the reason. Would the
> preELS map poorly to modern switching asics, is postELS more in-line
> on how forwarding-plane is actually programmed? Or could they have
> trivially supported preELS, but regardless of BRCM noticed their first
> attempt at switch CLI has inefficiencies they decided to remedy while
> changing everything anyhow.

The rumour was that because of the use-case of the QFX (large scale data
centre switching), Juniper were slanting development toward Web Scale
customers, and wanted to make sure any interest in the lower-end of the
market (EX) did not present a different CLI than those customers were
accustomed to with the QFX. Because the Web Scale customers are needing
more IP functionality in their Layer 2 switching environments, ELS makes
that easier to do without actually having to sell a router to them for such.

Again, the rumour...

As a regular telecoms operator, I have no such needs.

Mark.