[c-nsp] Cisco Router IRB

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Mon Mar 5 03:42:17 EST 2018

On Mon, 5 Mar 2018, Arie Vayner wrote:

> My gut feeling tells me the performance will be the same for irb and
> regular routing. These are software routers, so the performance depends
> on how many and which features you enable.

There is a huge performance difference (at least in older routers and
older software) between CEF-enabled forwarding paths and non-CEF-enabled
forwarding paths, even on CPU based routers.

Look for routerperformance.pdf and compare "process switching" and
"fast/CEF switching". There is often 5-20x difference in pps. So at least
back then it was important to use features that were CEF enabled,
otherwise performance would go down a lot.

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se