[c-nsp] ASR920 Interface won't come up

Shawn L shawn at rmrf.us
Mon May 18 14:01:33 EDT 2020

Had another weird interface issue on a pair of Cisco ASR920 routers.
Wondering if anyone has seen something similar before.

Both are setup with basic routing, no layer-2 functionality over the link,
and pretty basic.

interface TenGigabitEthernet0/0/4
 description Feed
 mtu 9189
 ip address 10.10.0.37 255.255.255.252
 no negotiation auto
 mpls ip

On the Remote Side
 description Remote
 mtu 9189
 ip address 10.10.0.38 255.255.255.252
 no negotiation auto
 mpls ip

Power went out at the remote site, and the link did not come back up.  The
feed side was reporting the interface was down/down.  When we went to the
remote site, it was reporting up/up but could not pass traffic.  A shut/no
shut of the port on either side didn't seem to have any effect.  Both came
right back to the same state they were before (remote reporting up, feed
reporting down).

SFP removal and reinsertion didn't help either.  We then re-provisioned the
port on the remote side (default interface, copy and paste) and the link
came back up and seems to be operating normally.

Logs don't show anything interesting either.  Not sure where to go from
here.

Thanks