[c-nsp] Internet border router recommendations and experiences

Mark Tinka mark at tinka.africa
Fri Feb 24 04:06:19 EST 2023

On 2/24/23 11:01, Gert Doering wrote:

> I really do like XR, but the update hassles...  so having an "image based"
> XR ("scp $new_xr.bin router:", "boot system flash $new_xr.bin", "reload")
> would have been really nice.
>
> Now, SMUs and "restart only the affected service" is a great promise, but
> in all our time with the ASR9001, all we've seen is "reboot required"
> or "the SMU is not compatible with using service packs".  So, "just upload
> a new image, and then reload" would have had the same effect, with less
> argueing with the box.

This.

Which I don't mind in the data centre, because it's a few boxes looking
after tons of traffic.

But in the Metro, where you have 100's - 1000's of boxes, this gets very
painful, very quickly. That and RPL, despite its flexibility, can get
rather rowdy in high-touch scenarios like the Metro.

Copy, save, reboot, is very attractive.

This is why we rejected the NCS540.

> Not sure XR64 is better in that regard, no experience - we lost trust in
> Cisco before the question of "successor to the 9001?  something with XR64?"
> arose.

We stopped keeping track.

Mark.