[c-nsp] NCS IOS-XR rant (was:Re: Internet border router recommendations and experiences)

James Bensley lists+cisconsp at bensley.me
Sat Mar 4 11:23:22 EST 2023

------- Original Message -------
On Saturday, March 4th, 2023 at 16:38, Tarko Tikan <tarko at lanparty.ee> wrote:

> hey,

Yo,

> > "ztp initiate dataport"
>

> We were discussing iPXE and not normal ZTP. iPXE is only possible via
> OOB management port and allows software install via DHCP options, normal
> ZTP will work inband but does not allow software install via DHCP options.

Ah I slightly misunderstood but actually you can install via ZTP using the command I mentioned: DHCP can return an option which contains a HTTP URL to a bash or python script, the router will get that an execute it. That script can then do whatever you want, i.e. download an image file, a config file, and run the commands to apply/install the image and apply the config.

Cheers,
James.