[c-nsp] Internet border router recommendations and experiences

Andrey Kostin ankost at podolsk.ru
Mon Mar 6 14:06:38 EST 2023

Recent Juniper licensing model called "Flex software license" can be
found here:
https://www.juniper.net/documentation/us/en/software/license/juniper-licensing-admin-guide.pdf
Sorry for the link to huge pdf, but looks like Juniper now redirects all
my bookmarked pages to this document.
In short, there are three levels: standard, advanced and premium.
Standard has very low usability, advanced covers the most of use cases,
and premium adds some icing on the cake. Standard is included with
hardware, Advanced and Premium are available as perpetual or 1-3-5 years
time based. Time-based licenses include HW support, for perpetual
conventional NBD support has to be purchased. From my estimate,
time-based licenses are little less expensive on 5 years span, but on 8
years span perpetual gets better.
High performance devices and linecards can be licensed for partial
number of 100G or 400G ports and there is a minimum number for each
product that has to be licensed.
According to the document mentioned above, subscriber services need
separate licenses, although before I was told by Juniper that Premium
license covers everything, so this is new discovery for me. There are
packages for 4,8,16,32 and 64 thousand subscribers. They are not very
expensive compared to the price of hardware.

Hope this is helpful for OP.

Kind regards,
Andrey