[c-nsp] Extended Route Target Community Bug

Mark Tinka mark at tinka.africa
Thu Sep 21 08:27:57 EDT 2023

Hi all.

I have a simple inbound route-map on a VPNv4 PE-CE BGP session that does
the below:

route-map TEST deny 10
  match rpki invalid
!
route-map TEST permit 20
  match ip address prefix-list test-in
  set metric 0
  set local-preference 120
  set extcommunity rt 65200:5
!
route-map TEST deny 65535

The outcome of that policy works correctly for setting MED to 0 and
LOCAL_PREF to 120.

However, I can't get it to set the extended RT community value to
65200:5. Nothing happens.

If I update that sequence with the below...

route-map TEST permit 20
  match ip address prefix-list test-in
  set metric 0
  set local-preference 120
  set community 65200:5
  set extcommunity rt 65200:5

... the regular community value is applied to the route. Of course, this
does not work for me since I need the extended RT community applied to
the route for it work further down the core.

Am I doing something wrong, or is this a bug?

System is an ASR1002-X running IOS XE 17.03.04a.

For completeness, doing this on Junos works flawlessly.

All help appreciated. Thanks.

Mark.