[c-nsp] Extended Route Target Community Bug - Solved!

Mark Tinka mark at tinka.africa
Tue Sep 26 23:15:31 EDT 2023

On 9/24/23 03:43, Nathan Ward wrote:

> Further than that, in JunOS if you define an RT in a VRF with an
> export/import policy it has no effect.
>
> Import/export RT is just a shortcut for creating and applying a policy
> if no other policy exists.
> It doesn’t (so far as I am aware) do anything else behind the scenes.
>
> I have seen this catch out folks in the past, who either expected it
> to pre-filter like Cisco, or expected it to permit RTs additional to
> the policy.

Agreed - the Juniper option makes more sense to me, even though I first
interacted with VRF's in IOS.

> Cisco have always been like this, where the VRF import/export RTs are
> an additional layer of policy. I wonder if they see some performance
> benefit.

My only assumption was that early versions of VRF implementation in IOS
did not expect that operators would require more fine-grained use of
import/export policies, and may just mostly rely on the RT defined in
the VRF.

> Perhaps in XR RPL where it would maybe be more difficult to generate a
> list of expected RTs?

Why would that be more difficult?

> It would certainly make it a lot faster to generate the list of RTs to
> advertise with rtfilter - though given that’s only at config commit
> time perhaps it’s not a big deal.

I can't think of a reason why implementation in IOS XR would be more
onerous.

Mark.