[c-nsp] Firepower Threat Defense Geolocation DB

Jon Lewis jlewis at lewis.org
Tue Mar 26 11:29:50 EDT 2024

I've been going back and forth with cisco support for 2 weeks on this and
gotten nowhere.  Does anyone know of a way to verify (and update if
needed) Cisco's IP Geo data for the FTD platform?  I've been trying to get
support to let me download the DB files from

https://software.cisco.com/download/home/286322194/type/286321931/release/GeoDB

but as I don't have the appropriate service contract, that seems to not be
happening.

We have an IP block (57.135/16) that is former RIPE space.  We've had some
IP Geo issues with it, but thought those were behind us.  Recently, we've
run into IP Geo based filtering/redirection issues with this space.  The
first was a network that admitted it was an issue with their FTD blocking
our traffic & needing an update.  So, I assume the latest IP Geo data from
cisco has 57.135/16 correctly listed as ARIN/US, but I'd like to be sure
of that and also look back at past versions of the DB to see how far
behind someone needs to be to have it listed as RIPE/EU space.