[cisco-voip] Caller ID.

John Osmon josmon at rigozsaurus.com
Wed Mar 2 01:03:23 EST 2005

On Tue, Mar 01, 2005 at 02:22:50PM -0800, Voll, Scott wrote:
> Any idea way my caller id is sent out and works great except to Qwest
> Cell Phones?

I had a similar problem with Verizon cell phones.  From the same
AS5350, I could call via a Qwest PRI, or a Global Crossing PRI.
Anytime the Qwest PRI was used, the Verizon cell phone had no
caller-id info.

It turns out that we'd been sending calls without tagging them
as 'national'.  A Verizon tech sent me an SS7 trace that showed
the "Nature of Address Indicator" was set to 'spare' and said that
their Lucent gear couldn't deal with that -- even though the proper
phone number for the caller-id info was available...

When I started tagging calls as 'national' the problem went away.

Verizon called it a misconfigured PBX -- I called it a way to break
Verizon's network while buying retail services from another carrier.
Verizon didn't like my take on the situation.

I might open a can of worms here, but I really want to know more about
this situation -- was I in the wrong for not tagging the calls?  If so,
why did everyone else (apparently) assume it was a 'national' number?

I didn't get an SS7 trace from anything going over the Global Crossing
PRI -- could/would Global Crossing set this for me before sending
it to Verizon?  Perhaps the handoff from Global Crossing to Verizon
is more liberal in accepting caller-id info than the Qwest/Verizon
handoff?