[cisco-voip] ATA - Late packets

Mark R. Lindsey lindsey at e-c-group.com
Tue Mar 8 08:35:06 EST 2005

I'm not sure there's an official definition, per se. But, in case it
helps, it's a common term: a late packet is one that arrived too late
to be played back. Packets in a network suffer from end-to-end delay
(latency), and this latency varies for each RTP packet. Each packet
includes timing information, representing the time it was "recorded",
relative to the beginning of the stream. If a packet arrives at the
receiver (the playback device) after the latest time it could be
played, it would be considered late.

Late packets represent a loss; usually this causes a brief moment of
silence on the playback side. Late packets can also contribute to
congestion collapse: they use resources in the network without doing
any useful work.

Latency -- and in particular variation in latency (jitter) -- is
usually the cause. Jitter buffers are used to allow packets to arrive
late by a certain amount; a large jitter buffer allows for more jitter,
but it causes more delay. The simplest is a fixed-length jitter buffer,
which usually works, but can be susceptible to significant changes
through the latency. A variable-length jitter buffer attempts to adapt
to the latency-at-the-moment

Ketan Mayer-Patel's of UNC-CH has a fine course in Multimedia
Networking; he goes into these issues in a lot of detail.
http://www.cs.unc.edu/Courses/comp249-s05/

Mark R. Lindsey  |  ECG  |  +1-229-316-0013  |  lindsey at e-c-group.com