[cisco-voip] Prefixing a 9 to the missed calls directory?Isitpossible?

Mike Newell mnewell at spottydogs.org
Mon Mar 28 16:05:18 EST 2005

On Tue, 22 Mar 2005, Nick Marus wrote:

> Rebooting the callmanager seemed to apply those settings. However it
> is adding 91 on local numbers? why does it identify local incoming as
> long distance?

You always need to restart the gateway when making parameter changes.

We had the same problem re putting the "9" on.  If the call comes in the
gateway there's no way to tell whether it's local or not; you get the
national form of the number and that's what triggers.  We looked at
gathering up the local area codes and doing our own map, but since some
calls are long distance and some aren't even within the same area code
it's not practical.

One GOOD thing is that in our area (DC) Verizon will ignore the "1" and
bill appropriately.  For example if you send "17035555555" and that's
local Verizon counts it as a local call.  If you send "17036666666" and
that's a long distance call you get billed long distance.  Trouble is the
Verizon guy I was working through (there actually ARE Verizon guys out
there that know what they are doing!) noted that in former GTE parts of
Verizon this isn't true...

None the less I did test calls while he was watching the billing and he
was correct.  I'm told Verizon does this so that they can handle caller-ID
callbacks for cell phones.  Dunno, but at least there are SOME areas of
sanity in the world...

Mike