[cisco-voip] General QOS question

Bell, Joe Joe_Bell at adp.com
Wed Jun 7 13:49:00 EDT 2006

Andy is right, you don't need desireable.  An oversight on my part.
His config below is what we use for our newer switches, while the older,
non-IPT switches still need to be configured as a trunk because their
stupid.  There were a number of questions that came up from this string,
so I'll try to answer a couple of them.

First, there was a question as to what switch port commands
automatically form a trunk and which doesn't.  Here is a list:

---

If you enter access mode, the interface goes into permanent nontrunking
mode and negotiates to convert the link into a nontrunk link even if the
neighboring interface does not agree to the change.

If you enter trunk mode, the interface goes into permanent trunking mode
and negotiates to convert the link into a trunk link even if the
neighboring interface does not agree to the change.

If you enter dynamic auto mode, the interface converts the link to a
trunk link if the neighboring interface is set to trunk or desirable
mode. <--  So two autos do not form a trunk.

If you enter dynamic desirable mode, the interface becomes a trunk
interface if the neighboring interface is set to trunk, desirable, or
auto mode.

---

Second, some info on the quasi-nature of the trunk in a voice enabled
switch.  The big reason why you do not want this to be a real trunk, is
because you don't want to run spanning tree for every VLAN, which is
what trunks do.  The phone really is only concerned about 2 VLAN's
(voice and data) and one of which is untagged (from the phones point of
view) with 802.1q frames.  Keeping that processing off the phone is
apparently a big hit.  Second, the CAM table on a phone has room for 32
addresses, not nearly enough for a true trunk.  If it acted like a real
trunk, it would be deleting and adding addresses all the time.  The main
reason for a switch in the phone is tagging = QoS to protect voice from
the PC behind it.  To that end, it's a very limited switch set and so
the newer switches do not form a true trunk.  If it were a true trunk,
you could not run a sniffer on your PC behind the phone, and see traffic
to and from the phone as they are on two separate VLAN's.

There is a good discussion on the capabilities of the switch in the
phone in the Cisco IPT Troubleshooting handbook.

Hope this helps,

Joe