[cisco-voip] 4ESS vs. 5ESS NI2-Calling party Name/Number Help

Jason Burwell BurwellJ at firstcharter.com
Tue Jun 13 21:53:31 EDT 2006

OK, I'm hoping someone out there can help me....

Note-Below I am speaking of the portion of at&t that was AT&T before the
SBC merger.

I recently installed an Inbound only T1 into my CallManager to carry
inbound 800# traffic from at&t. Of course the circuit is an at&t
circuit. The T is currently provisioned with 4ESS signaling. at&t says
they are sending Calling Party Name and Number info. The problem is
Callmanager will not decode Calling Party Name with 4ESS signaling- only
Calling Number. It seems the only way I can decode Calling Party Name
and Number is with NI2 which I am told is a form of 5ESS signaling. I
simply put in an order to have the circuit changed to NI2 but now at&t
is telling me that they cannot send Calling Party Name OR Number with
NI2. This makes absolutely NO sense to me as I have another (much
smaller) CLEC in the area that can deliver the Name and Number on NI2
with NO problem. I can't understand why someone as large as at&t can't
seem to provide this simple service. It seems logical that 4ESS
signaling would be "more dated" than 5ESS anyway, although that may not
be correct. My question here is, does anyone know why they are telling
me this is not possible? Am I missing something or do I have a tech that
dosen't know what they are talking about?

Any input will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Jason

The information transmitted is intended only for the person or entity to which it is
addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any review,
retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon,
this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited.
If you received this in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from
any computer.