[cisco-voip] Background Logo

pdavidson at tdktca.com pdavidson at tdktca.com
Thu Jun 22 18:32:01 EDT 2006

Danny-

There are only a few ways to do this- and unfortunately, under CCM4.X, I'm
not happy with any of them.

The by the book answer is to use the Idle Screen functionality.  You'll see
a setting for the URL to set for idle, as well as the idle timeout timer,
on the Device Settings page under CCM Administrator.  The URL must return a
valid CMXML object, containing the information you want to display.  This
functionality works- I run it regularly.

However- under CCM4, the definition of 'idle' is a little bit funky.  I've
had it kick in while I'm dialing before, replacing what I'm dialing and
stopping me from dialing more digits.  You also almost lose the onhook
dialahead functionality- you have to exit from the idle screen first, then
onhook dial- a retraining step for the users.

I have seen this done with custom authored phone loads, which involve BTXML
authoring- as a university, you might be able to get some help from Cisco
to do this.  I know that the 'managed' IP-PBX offering from Covad does this
on 7960's- I've seen them running- but that's using an MGCP load talking to
something other than Callmanager.

If you run the SIP image on the phone, it's MUCH simpler- just tell the
phone the name of a .bmp file on your TFTP server, and you're done- with no
loss of functionality.  But, CCM4 doesn't make SIP phone administration
simple- it will work, but it will be a very manual process for you.  CCM5
changes that, is my understanding- but the CCM5 SIP Phone load has other
oddities- your mileage may vary.

Hope this helps.

Paul Davidson, Manager, MIS
TDK Corporation of America
http://www.component.tdk.com

             cisco-voip-reques
             t at puck.nether.net
             cisco-voip-bounce         cisco-voip at puck.nether.net
             s at puck.nether.net                                          cc

                                                                   Subject
             06/22/2006 05:14          cisco-voip Digest, Vol 40, Issue
             PM                        119

             Please respond to
             cisco-voip at puck.n
                 ether.net