[cisco-voip] Parked and Hold Calls Dropped at 50 Seconds

Robert Singleton rsingleton at novateck.com
Thu Jun 29 12:59:31 EDT 2006

On Thu, 2006-06-29 at 10:14 -0400, Justin Steinberg wrote:

> What version of CallManager?

At the time (July 2004), we were running 4.0(1)sr2a

> Do you have a bug id?

There were two TAC cases associated with this problem, each about a year
apart. The first engineer gave this bug report: CSCdz37627

The second gave us this one, which is what fixed the problem: CSCea74550

> Is it fixed in newer versions?

We are currently running 4.0(2a)sr2, but the Attendant Consoles are
still configured with call forwarding on the member lines, so I don't
know for sure if it has changed since then.

> AC admin guide specifically states not to enable any forwarding on member DN's.

The first response we got from TAC, once we were able to duplicate the
issue, was that it was actually working as designed. Here is an excerpt
from the case notes:

--------------
"When the park timer expires, the parked call attempts to return to the
attendant. But in this case, the attendant is busy with another call.
So, the attempt to return the call to attendant fails with Busy error
which is as per design intent.

Today you and I duplicated this several times and if we parked the call to an
IP Phone we were able to retrive it, but if we call into AC, she parks the
calls and the second person calls the same receptionist, it failed every time.

You can always submit a feature request through your sales partner so that call
can go to a differetn AC member if the person initiated the park is busy."
--------------

The case was closed with the following resolution:
--------------
this is  only happening if the receptionist gets an ohter call in between and
park call has no place to go back after expired time.

working as design.  suggested cust to submit a feature request
--------------

We apparently accepted this behavior for about a year. It is possible,
however, that during this time, we may have reconfigured the telephones,
accidentally applying the workaround.

In May of 2005, we had an unrelated problem that resulted in dumping the
CallManagers and reinstalling from scratch with an unusable backup. This
resulted in the "whitepaper" configuration of the Attendant Consoles (not
to mention a LOOONG weekend of clicking and typing in our entire database
of about 500 phones at that time) and the subsequent recurrence of the
original complaint. We opened a new TAC case.

This engineer found the 2nd bug report quickly and referred us to it.
The verbiage of the workaround in the bug report does say that the user
is "forced" to use call forwarding (or call waiting), but that is the
closest it comes to mentioning anything counter to the manual.

Robert