[cisco-voip] instruction on how to use ethereal to capture voice

Ryan Ratliff rratliff at cisco.com
Mon Mar 6 14:58:40 EST 2006

This is copy/pasted from an old techtip of mine.   The gist should be
the same as I don't think Ethereal has changed too much since I wrote
it.

With newer versions of Ethereal you can analyze and even extract RTP
payloads from a sniffer trace.

These instructions are valid for Ethereal 0.10.0a.  Earlier or later
versions might have different placement of the RTP Analysis buttons
but should still work fine.

First open your sniffer capture in Ethereal.  Make sure to uncheck
the boxes for "Enable MAC name resolution" and "Enable transport name
resolution" to greatly speed up the load time.

Then find all of your RTP streams and make sure they are recognized
as RTP streams.  If they just show up as UDP packets right-click one
of the packets, choose "Decode As" and then select RTP.  Do this for
all the streams you are interested in.

Then go to Analyze->Statistics->RTP Streams->Show All.
(This location of the RTP Streams->Show all menu item may differ
depending on your version of Ethereal)

Now you should see a window that has a list of all RTP streams found
in the capture file. Select your forward stream by clicking with the
left mouse button.  Select the reverse stream by holding the SHIFT
key and left-clicking on it.  Above the buttons at the bottom of the
window it should now list both streams, including IP addresses (src,
dst) and SSRC.

Now hit the Analyze button.  This will pop up yet another window with
detailed analysis for the RTP streams you selected previously.  There
will be a button for "Save Payload".  Hit this, and choose which
payload you want to save (forward, reverse, both) and the filename
and path.  This will create a <yourname>.au file in the path you
specified that will have both directions of the RTP stream.

If you have difficulties with this make sure before you hit the
Analyze button it shows a valid forward and reverse streams.  If it
only picks up one direction of the RTP stream it will not allow you
to save a payload with both directions selected.

-Ryan