[cisco-voip] Need some facts regarding DID's, Enterprise VoIP and LATAs

Robert Singleton rsingleton at morsco.com
Fri Aug 3 11:30:12 EDT 2007

On Thu, 2007-08-02 at 16:33 -0500, Dark Fiber wrote:
> Actually 911 is not the issue, we do have local gateways with a couple
> of pstn lines at each location strictly for 911.  So if someone in
> Houston calls 911 it routes out the local gateway to reach the right
> psap.

Ah, well, lets look at that, then.. :)

Ignoring my locations without SRST (and that's actually most of them),
outbound calls from any location go out a VoIP LD carrier or either of
two PRIs, depending on the NPANXX dialed. While the cheap VoIP carrier
is very cheap, free is better, so calls to the Dallas-Fort Worth or
Houston areas are routed out those PRIs, as well as toll free numbers.
We also route all fax calls out the PRIs because, while the VoIP carrier
can handle the fax call, there is enough variation in propagation delays
and such to make fax calling less than acceptably reliable throught he
VoIP LD carrier.

Inbound calls are similarly gathered from all over. Anywhere our
provider has a switch, they can provide local numbers in that market and
we either forward or port as needed our locations' numbers into their
switch. They route it to the appropriate PRI. Each regional PRI is
backhauled to our co-lo for the convenience of connecting them all to
ports on one 6608 blade in a 6509 chassis. We have contemplated putting
them in major locations in each of those markets, but at this point,
this is more elegant.

The exceptions to this architecture are the places where our provider
does not have a local switch. In these locations, we use FXO ports on
the local router and on most (but not all) of those routers, we are also
using SRST. We handle incoming calls on the local gateway and outgoing
calls on the WAN. This lets us use a smaller number of local lines by
not using them for outbound calling.

Now... Is all that legal? As far as I know. I'd think that our provider
would object if there were a legal issue...

Robert