[cisco-voip] DHCP not really working [solved]

Kelemen Zoltan keli at carocomp.ro
Mon Aug 20 14:29:32 EDT 2007

Hi,

Well it turns out, the DHCP server in Cisco did restart after the "no
service dhcp" line was removed from the config, but the 7911G phones act
rather irritatingly stupid as DHCP clients. They do not adhere to lease
times, but only try to refresh their IP addresses in the DHCP server
indefinitely.

Whatever a phone has received, it will not "let go" unless you
explicitly set so in the phone's network menu.

The debugs I was seeing were related probably to the fact, that phones
were trying to "refresh" the leased IP, but the router did not know
about such a lease (since the service was stopped, it's database was
empty). However none of the phones did a complete DHCP release/renew,
even though their adresses have expired much longer that 24hs before.

The newly added phone (as it was a remote location, I didn't do it, but
instructed somebody else) took an IP from the data VLAN before setting
it's administrative VLAN ID. After the latter was set, the phone got
blocked in a limbo, being in the voice VLAN, but looking for IPs in the
data VLAN. And this phone didn't "let go" neither of it's IP, nor it's
DHCP server, even after a long weekend.

So, my (rather miserable) opinion of the 7906/7911 series phones still
holds, unfortunately ...

regards,
  Zoltan