[cisco-voip] Maximum number of 7970's on a 3750-48ps-s

Pennington, Craig cpennington at ncaa.org
Fri Aug 24 16:48:14 EDT 2007

I noticed we have reached our maximum power output for the 3750 (540
watts).  I then noticed it is set to the default settings of auto with
15.4 watts max on a port with the switch reporting each 7970 as using
10.3 watts.  I tried to do the power inline auto max XXXXX (where XXXXX
is the number of milli-watts between 4000 and 15400) to lower the max
setting in hopes of increasing the number of ports that would give
power. 540/15.4 gives you a max of 35 powered ports.  And that is what I
have, 35 phones, on each switch and I need to add more.  When I tried to
lower the milli-watts below 15400 the port would say deny power and the
phone would not boot.  has anyone had any luck trying to lower the power
on a 3750 to service more 7970's?

Craig Pennington
Network Engineer
National Collegiate Athletic Association
Fax: 317-917-6888
cpennington at ncaa.org <mailto:cpennington at ncaa.org>
www.ncaa.org <http://www.ncaa.org/>

This email and any attachments may contain confidential and privileged information.  If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately by return email, delete this message and destroy any copies.  Any dissemination or use of this information by a person other than the intended recipient is unauthorized and may be illegal.