[cisco-voip] Is this Unity's death knell?

K S kspellman02 at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 29 19:14:05 EDT 2007

Ahhh the "Free" Unified Messaging from MS.  Free is a
bundled price....something else in that bundle could
also be called free. Check out the Cisco Workspace
License.....lots of "free" there as well.

Free from MS is a Software license that requires MS
users to buy software support on for for the rest of
it's natural life....or it becomes illegal.

Free is calling MS tech support when the Intel Gateway
they recommend won't talk to your NEC/Nortel?Avaya
PBX...thats a trip in itself.

T.38 IS supported with CUCM in H.323 mode so that
shouldn't be an issue.

The new versions of Unity (4.2, 5.0) offer a ton of
enhancements that MS doesn't have. MWI for starters
(there is 3rd party for MS that charges per user plus
the application). Also Unity users don't have to
change their TUI...they can use what they are already
using with the custom TUI settings in Unity so there
is no re-learning by the user.

Cisco's encryption of messages means security that MS
doesn't have. Imagine having someone forward an
internal message that had critical business info on it
to someone off the network. Cisco Unity prevents that.

Cisco has failover for Unity that is at least as
reliable as the MS clustering....probably more so.

Speech Rec on Unity is in its first phase in the 5.0
product and will be getting better over the next 3
months from what I hear.

Again, there are many enhancements to Unity that make
"free" not so attractive.

You've got to look at the overall offer and how it
impacts the business.