[cisco-voip] IPMA in shared mode how is it supposed to work?

Michael Hamann mail at mhamann.net
Tue Jan 30 06:54:45 EST 2007

Hello,

we are currently using IPMA in proxy mode at one of our customers
installation. It works in general but it seems to be too complex for the
(older female) assistants. Another problem is that the 4 assistants used
to assist their manager all together. So incoming calls for the manager
used to be signalled to every assistant with their old Siemens PBX.

So I´m thinking about switching to the shared line mode, which seems to be
easier to use.

But the thing I don´t understand at the moment is how the assistant
transfers a received call for the manager to the manager once picked up by
the assistant. Do I need an extra "secret" number for the manager for call
transfer by the assistant? Maybe I´m too stupid but I didn´t find an
answer to this question in the cisco manuals.

Does anybody use IPMA in shared mode and can give me a hint on how it is
supposed to work (especially the transfer from assistant to the manager)?

Thanks
Michael