[cisco-voip] Unable to choose gsm codec on 3640

Mike cisco-voip at spam.turbolink.net
Tue Jul 3 14:35:34 EDT 2007

Hey guys,

I've got a 3640 w/ NM-HDV platform running 12.4(12) acting as a PRI<->VoIP
Gateway

Everything is working fine, but I wanted to change one dialpeer from g711u
to gsmfr for testing something, and find that I cannot.

It's my understanding that gsmfr should be available as a "medium"
complexity codec, but it's not available as a codec choice:

3640(config)#dial-peer voice 213 voip
3640(config-dial-peer)#codec gsmfr
                               ^
% Invalid input detected at '^' marker.

3640(config-dial-peer)#codec ?
   clear-channel  Clear Channel 64000 bps (No voice capabilities: data transport only)
   g711alaw       G.711 A Law 64000 bps
   g711ulaw       G.711 u Law 64000 bps
   g723ar53       G.723.1 ANNEX-A 5300 bps (contains built-in vad that cannot be disabled)
   g723ar63       G.723.1 ANNEX-A 6300 bps (contains built-in vad that cannot be disabled)
   g723r53        G.723.1 5300 bps
   g723r63        G.723.1 6300 bps
   g726r16        G.726 16000 bps
   g726r24        G.726 24000 bps
   g726r32        G.726 32000 bps
   g728           G.728 16000 bps
   g729br8        G.729 ANNEX-B 8000 bps (contains built-in vad that cannot be disabled)
   g729r8         G.729 8000 bps
   transparent    transparent; uses the endpoint codec

This works fine on another 2811 that we're using for testing.  Any ideas
would be appreciated.

- Mike