[cisco-voip] 802.3af support in 7940 IP Phone

Daniel A. Abelski daniel.abelski at gmail.com
Wed Jul 4 10:03:35 EDT 2007

I did a simple thing at one site. I took a 48V DC power output and put it to
spare wires in the utp. Cisco Inline and af negotiate power diff, but use
the same pairs of wires. And I had all those phones up and running. Not a
very prety solution but it worked.

2007/7/4, Kelemen Zoltan <keli at carocomp.ro>:

> 7940's & 7960's won't work on 802.3af POE (non-Cisco switches, mostly),
> while 7941 & 7961 will work with both types of POE (Cisco AND standard).
>
> As far as I know, basically every new-generation Cisco Phone (7906,
> 7941, 7961, 7936 etc.) is POE standards-compliant,  while old phones
> (7905, 7940, 7960 and so on) work only with Cisco POE switches.
>
> Since POE is something really hardware related, I doubt a firmware
> upgrade could change this.
>
> regards,
>   Zoltan
>
> May, Simon wrote:
> > I'm confused, I have 7940's, 7960's, 7941's & 7961's all using POE.
> >
> > This is from Cisco ..
> >
> > *      The preferred method for powering Cisco IP Phones is through
> > Power over Ethernet (POE). There are two variants of POE: Cisco Inline
> > Power and the IEEE 802.3af standard. All Cisco IP Phones support the
> > Cisco Inline Power variant, and the 7970G model offers both Cisco Inline
> > Power and 802.3af support. .
> >
> > *      If POE is not available, or the customer chooses to power the
> > phones via an AC power adapter, the preferred network configuration is
> > Cisco Catalyst Switches that have been configured for automatic loop
> > detection and recovery. For more information, see Table 1 and
> > Configuration Guidelines.
> >
> > *      Cisco does not support the use of Cisco IP Phones with unmanaged,
> > non-enterprise class switches that cannot automatically detect a loop
> > condition and recover from the effect of loop back traffic. Follow the
> > Configuration Guidelines section for specific recommendations.
> >
> > Simon

> > Message: 3
> > Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2007 22:25:53 -0400
> > From: "Jim McBurnett" <jim at tgasolutions.com>
> > Subject: Re: [cisco-voip] 802.3af support in 7940 IP Phone
> > To: "zohaib shabir" <zohaibshabir at gmail.com>,
> >       <cisco-voip at puck.nether.net>,
> > <cisco-voip-request at puck.nether.net>
> > <D2BBAE709B4D874DAC556C7EB9D938FC347805 at exchange.TGASolutions.local>
> >
> > Does not support .af-the 7941 will..
> >
> > Jim

Regards,                    |        С Уважением,
Daniel A. Abelski        |        Абельский Даниил Александрович