[cisco-voip] shared line as primary line

Christopher M. Bomba cbomba at s4nets.com
Thu Jul 26 14:41:22 EDT 2007

There is a bug in CCM 5.1 and will not be fixed until 5.13 where you have shared lines on phones.

Problem:

Say you have 3 phones (A,B,C).  Extension 5000.

When you have Phone A - 5000, Phone B - 5000, and Phone C - 5000 configured with a shared line, and you want to change one of them to a different number.  If you just go to Phone C and click on the line and change the number to 5001 it will break either inbound or outbound calls to the other phones that have 5000 configured on them.  The only way to get that fixed after you break it is to either put 5000 on another phone or you can go into the directory number and make not active then active again.

Also the other way we found to get around this is to delete the line off the phone  you are giving a new extension, then add the new extension onto that phone.  Also you can use the Modify Button screen to remove the extension that you are going to change.

That is the only thing I know of that is a gotcha with shared lines in CCM 5.x.  There is a best practice when using shared lines on a lot of phones for remote sites.  It has something to do with SRST and router resources I think.  I know there is just a setting in the remote router to adapt to that.  The best practice is not sharing a line on more than 5 phones.  At that point you have to configure individual extensions and use a line group to get the call to all phones.

Chris