[cisco-voip] Unity VM Only with Failover

LuisYrigoyen at bayviewfinancial.com LuisYrigoyen at bayviewfinancial.com
Fri Jul 27 10:36:48 EDT 2007

Adam,
        We just went throught the same thing:

It depends, if you install the version of exchange provided by Cisco then
you're covered but it you decide to use another version (2003 or 2007)
then you must purchase CALs for every subscriber (about $70 each).  You
still need the windows server licenses on the server you're going to run
exchange.
For failover you will need to purchase failover licenses for every
subscriber (about $20 - 25 each).
Yes, you do need to provide the SQL licenses also; that dowsn't change.

Now, this is if you are only planning failover for Unity services and not
exchange.  If you are planning to provide redundancy for exchange services
you need to buy CALs for each subscriber.

The exchange version that came with our Unity media was Exchange 2000.

Luis Yrigoyen

Network Operations
Bayview Financial, L.P.
4425 Ponce de Leon Blvd.
Coral Gables, FL 33146

T 305.817.5083
F 305.646.4744
E luisyrigoyen at bayviewfinancial.com

Adam <cisco at adman.net>
Sent by: cisco-voip-bounces at puck.nether.net
07/27/2007 10:07 AM

"cisco-voip at puck.nether.net" <cisco-voip at puck.nether.net>
cc

Subject
[cisco-voip] Unity VM Only with Failover

If I have a Unity 4.0 system set up currently in a voicemail only
configuration with Exchange locally on the server and want to add
failover, what is the procedure? I saw that I need to seperate the
Unity server and the Exchange information store, but wasn't sure how
this worked from a licensing stand point. Is the Exchange license
provided by Cisco still valid if it is installed on a different box,
or do I need to obtain my own Exchange license and CALS? Also I assume
I need to provide my own SQL licenses for both Unity servers, is that
correct? Any other gotchas or things to consider?

Thanks,
Adam