[cisco-voip] VG224 H323 or MGCP

c3voip c3voip at nc.rr.com
Fri Jun 29 09:12:56 EDT 2007

We have some ADEMCO fire alarm panels that use DTMF tones to communicate and
use DTMF tones with bursts of 50msecs, so that eliminated VG248's since
their fastest DTMF sample size is either 100 or 150ms, so VG224's were
purchased.  Most of our gateways that were MGCP capable were configured that
way, but the MGCP config for the ports that these fire alarm panels were
connected to weren't working, so I tried H323 and it worked.  Since I have
setup these ports I have tried modems on similarly configured ports and have
gotten better, more reliable performance from the H323-configured ports than
the MGCP-configured ports.  I don't have any technical explanation of this,
just my own experience.

-C

  _____