[cisco-voip] A little Fun

Jonathan Charles jonvoip at gmail.com
Sun Oct 7 11:28:05 EDT 2007

On 10/5/07, Jonathan Charles <jonvoip at gmail.com> wrote:
> Here's a few....
>

> What IP Protocol number is UDP?

17

> What command turns RIP into a quasi-link state protocol?

On the interface:

ip rip triggered

> What command turns a layer-2 switched interface into a layer-3
> routable interface?

no switchport

> What is the advantage of a separate voice vlan?

To establish separate QoS for voice traffic and prevent data traffic
from using those queues, to segment traffic

> What is the purpose of the command 'ebgp multihop'?

If the IP on a BGP neighbor is more than one hop away, you need this command.

> How do you prevent MGCP from using a loopback as its source interface?

no mgcp bind loopback 0

> Identify a version of IOS that is compatible with CME.

12.4.4XC, 12.4.11XJ, 12.4.15T

> What is the minimum bandwidth for intracluster communication between
> CallManagers?

900k

> The command 'passive interface fa0/0' does not prevent routing updates
> from being received for which routing protocol(s)?

RIP

> What could be the side effects of lowering the ARP timeout to 3
> minutes? What is the default?

The default is 4 hours. Lowering this causes intermittant network
failures as devices re-ARP for destinations and the first packets
fail.

> What are the potential problems while doing mutual redistribution of
> two routing protocols? How do you mitigate this problem?

Routing loops from hell, use distribute lists to prevent your
advertised routes from being sent back at you.

> What configuration register setting on a Cisco router will bypass the
> startup configuration file on bootup?

0x2142

> What is the recommended DSCP for VoIP traffic? [make sure they mention
> CS3 or AF31 for control]

EF for payload, CS and AF31 for control

> What tool can be used to correct CallManager 4.X database replication
> problems? Do you have this file?

DBLHelper

> What version of CallManager supports IPCC 4.5?

5.x and 6.x

> What is the recommended Antivirus application for CallManager 5.X?

Macafee v8... etc.

> What keypad entry resets a Cisco 7940 IP Phone?

**#**

> How would you find out the IP address assigned to an ATA 186? [looking
> for the #80 thing]

hook up an analog phone, press button on ATA, when the British chick
says, "Configuration Menu" type # 8 0, the system will tell you the IP
Address.

> What is MDIX?

It is a switch feature that autosenses the cable (straight thru or
crossover) and changes the pinouts of the port to match.

> What happens if you fail to enter the 'login' command under 'line vty
> 0 4' on a router?

You do not get prompted for a login when you telnet to the router/switch.

> What debug would you use to see inbound and outbound call info on a PRI?

debug isdn q931

> Why would you choose CatIOS over IOS for a Cisco 6500 series switch?
> [looking for auto qos and support for the 6608]

Auto QoS and the 6608 blade are not supported in IOS

> Which protocol, MGCP or H.323 would you choose for a gateway, and why?
> [see if they know about limits of each, benefits of each]

MGCP provides for advanced PRI features, H.323 is more reliable for
low bandwidth links and provides for call survivability.

> You have an IP phone that says, 'configuring IP' but will not register, why?

Can't get an IP address... check DHCP server, vlan, etc.

> You have an IP phone that says, 'error DBConfig' and will not register, why?

Phone not configured on CCM and auto-registration is disabled.

> You have an IP phone that says, 'temp Fail', what does this mean?

Wrong Codec.