[cisco-voip] 79x0 vs 79x1 (BLF?)

Andre Beck cisco-voip at ibh.net
Tue Oct 9 06:03:13 EDT 2007

Jason,

On Mon, Oct 08, 2007 at 02:04:35PM -0400, Jason Aarons (US) wrote:
> Customer has all SCCP 79x0s with CCM 5.1 and are asking for a button to
> have "auto dial and appearance", they have been using the 7940 a week,
> along with CCMUser and don't think AbbrDial/FastDials/Personal Directory
> meets their needs. Their old phone had lots of buttons, etc.

You can add more (LEDed) buttons to 7960s using a sidecar (7914).
In principle you can do this to a 7940 as well, but AFAIK there is a CCM
blind spot with this combo (no problem with CCME - or was it the other way
around?)

> What is the CallManager 5.1 feature called where a button can be both a
> Shared Line and Speed Dial?

BLF, but it's *not* a shared line. It's a monitor only (and it's good
this way).

>  I'm trying to find the URL if it requires a
> 79x1 or would it work with a 7960.

It works with 7940/60 as well but it is hard to see the feedback as those
models don't have LEDs in their buttons. It's just the symbol in the LCD
that changes for them, and as their LCDs aren't good either...

Go with the x1 models IMO. Better LCD as well, and LEDs.

> What are the caveats? Can they setup/manage via CCMUser?

AFAIR no - BLFs in 5.1 are CCMAdmin only. But I hope this will change some
day. It's probably rather "not done yet" instead of a privacy feature...

The most significant caveat of all this IMO is that you can monitor a
line, but not a phone. If you monitor a DN that is line 1 on phone A
and phone A has other lines, the user on phone A might be busy talking
on line 2 but the BLF still shows the DN as beeing free. Even with
a busy limit of 1 in all lines. This essentially kills all usage of
secondary lines when you want to have reliable BLF...

HTH,
Andre.
--
    .sig making fun of Santa Claus Operation currently unavailable

-> Andre Beck    +++ ABP-RIPE +++    IBH Prof. Dr. Horn GmbH, Dresden <-